Thursday, June 26, 2008

No Romance Without Finance

Isn't that a nice philosophy? No money, no honey.

Wait, it's not High Class Hooking 101.

‘Cause nothin’ from nothin’ leaves nothin’/You got to have somethin’ if you wanna be with me

As much as I want to say my momma was clever enough to have taught me that lesson early on in life - it's really just a catchy lyric from Gwen Guthrie's 1986 funk classic (more on that later). To me, it's really a simple adage in standing your ground and taking no compromises for your aspirations.

Whoa, life is too serious, love’s too mysterious/A fly girl like me needs security

Deep and meaningful right? Let me get all Oprah on your ass - you see, at some point, we realize that what we have to offer in this world, our "honey", our "romance" - is a gift. And that doesn't deserve any trade-offs. We deserve exactly what we put out. Now let me get off my soapbox.

‘Cause ain’t nothin’ goin’ on but the rent/You got to have a J-O-B if you wanna be with me

It's not all that serious really - while this blog is part of my self-exploration in the romance I've got to offer the world - it's really a huge personal ad of my mental/emotional and sometimes physical shortcomings for cyber-suitors. Hey at least I'm honest (and sorta half-serious).

So laugh with me, laugh at me, well whatever.

Now just sing along with me.



And lyrics - check out: Gwen Guthrie's "Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But the Rent".

No comments: